Sunday, September 04, 2005

It's a small world

We drove to Cheshire Conneticut this weekend. Maps.google.com thinks this is a 6.5 hour journey. Which, it might be in some alternate universe. I learned my lesson two trips back from Cheshire to Fairfax, Va. Mapquest routed us through NYC, specifically to take I-295. Which wouldn't have been so bad had I the foresight to check our road atlas before starting...

So, at 4:30PM on a Monday afternoon, I found myself on a surface street in Queens. Driving a 24 foot U-Haul truck with my wife behind me driving our MPV. Yeah. 2.5 hours. It took two and a half hours just to get out of NYC. That day, the trip from Cheshire to Fairfax took 13 hours.

Friday, though, I was smarter. We routed around NYC on the Garden State Expressway. This adds maybe 30 miles to the trip but subtracts at least an hour.

Anyway, for whatever reason, our kids (3 3/4 and 1 1/2) were excellent going and coming. Thank God for miracles.

At a rest stop in New Jersey, we saw some people that looked familiar. Indeed, upon closer inspection, they looked really familiar. Naturally, they were relatives from my hometown. Who we just happened to meet at a rest stop in New Jersey. It's the fact that my hometown has less than 900 people in it that makes this reallyweird.

The world isn't just small, it's too tiny to turn around in.

No comments: